River

History

For over sixty years, Camp Albemarle has served as a wholesome rural, rustic and restful site for youth activities, church groups, civic events and occasional private programs. Its seven simple and solid buildings are dispersed on over 14 wooded and grassy acres on the banks of Moorman’s River near Free Union. Its original structures were built by the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC), a 1930’s federal workforce program. They constitute one of the last county 4-H facilities of its kind in Virginia. In the face of the area’s rapid urbanization, Camp Albemarle’s future is challenged as never before. At the same time, more and more programs rely on the site for environmental science instruction, 4-H activities and related uniquely rural experiences.

Based upon their firsthand involvement with the Camp spanning many generations, George Huff and his wife, Ruth Burruss Huff, a long-time Albemarle County Home Demonstration Agent, assisted in acquiring and preserving the site. Their vision and generosity led to establishment of a non-profit (IRS 501 c (3)) corporation operated by a Board of Directors.

In October 1977, vandals entered the unattended Camp and burned its main lodge to the ground. In the early 1980's, a former camper, Dr. Charles Hamner, (then Associate Vice President of the University of Virginia and later President of the North Carolina Center for Biotechnology), envisioned a new and better main lodge. Under his astute leadership, dedicated volunteers and generous financial supporters rebuilt a bigger, modernly equipped and impressive lodge around the original fireplace constructed by CCC workers over fifty years earlier. The Board of Directors have operated and conscientiously maintained the facility since, keeping its fees to a minimum —among the lowest in the area. Thousands of campers have enjoyed the camp in the ensuing years.